Monday 18 April 2011

Day 18 – A song that makes you think of a family member

30 Day Song Challenge
Day 18 – A song that makes you think of a family member

I associate my parent's taste in music with James Last and James Gallway - not exactly inspiring to a young Rock fan. But dad had a pile of old 78s that hinted at a more interesting musical past. In particular, he had a copy of Tiger Rag by Les Paul and Mary Ford:


I loved this track and I am ashamed to admit that I destroyed my dad's 78. For some reason (when I was still in primary school) I decided to see if you could listen to a record by running a needle (as in needle and thread rather than stylus) round and round the groves. Surprise, surprise, I didn't hear a thing but managed to wreck the disc while finding this out. Sorry dad!

But it does mean that I think of dad every time I hear Les Paul.

No comments: