Sunday 6 February 2011

Gary Moore (1952-2011)

I am sure other people will do this better than I can, but I wanted to mark the sad passing of Gary Moore with a brief thought or two.

I think I first became aware of Gary Moore when he was in Thin Lizzy at the time they released the Black Rose album and I saw him play with them on the Black Rose tour at the legendary Glasgow Apollo. I think Black Rose is Thin Lizzy's most commercially successful album and remains my favourite. It was because of this album that I started to pay attention to what Gary Moore did post Lizzy and I think it is fair to say that he is one of the main reasons that this teenage Rock fan started listening to the Blues.

I couldn't find any video of Black Rose era Lizzy but I did find this great footage of Gary Moore playing Black Rose with Scott Gorham and Brian Downey:



Rock, Blues and Celtic influences and Gary and Scott having a blast.

Thank you Gary.

No comments: