Saturday, 25 September 2010

Free Download Friday #71: Trent Reznor

Mr Reznor if giving stuff away again...

As seems to becoming increasingly common, the download is made available in exchange for your email. This time it's a five track EP with a selection of songs from a film soundtrack that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross worked on that is being made available.

The film is called The Social Network and is a "based on a true story" (i.e. "we made it up") about the founders of facebook. It seems to be getting good reviews from cinema goers on IMDB but I suspect it is not the sort of film that will provoke much excitement in other members of the Muir family, so I'll probably have to wait for the DVD to see it.

Back to the music though. It is very much soundtrack music in that it doesn't draw attention to itself (which is as it should be). It is also a bit more laid back, not so in your face, as Nine Inch Nails. But the songs are strong on atmosphere and I can see them working well in the context of a film.

I like them all, but my favourite is the first track on the EP: Pieces Form the Whole.

While you are there downloading the soundtrack, have a look at what else is available. It looks like you can still download two Nine Inch Nails albums (The Slip and Ghosts I-IV) as well as an album from a Trent Reznor side project called How To Destroy Angels all of which are great.

Plenty for you to download and explore.

P.S. It's not that long ago that Jeff from Totally Free Music would have beaten me the punch with a NIN download. His blog has been very quiet of late. I know that he was planing some time out. I hope he is doing OK.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Ha, well I've actually been trying to get a post up about this one for a week now, and I actually have it about 90% complete - just lacking the motivation to get the other 10% done.

The truth is, I haven't been listening to a whole lot of free music at all lately. After I watched the Rush documentary around the end of June, I decided that I would like to listen to all of their music in chronological order, which took a couple of weeks and was a pretty awesome experience. After that, I decided it might be cool to try the same thing with Dream Theater, then I decided to add some more of my favourite artists to the mix - stuff that I love but hadn't heard in a long time, partially because of all the time I spend looking for new and exciting free music to write about.

There's also that PhD thing, which takes up a little bit of time on its own. ;)

I've recently begun downloading some free music again, though, so it likely won't be too much longer before I get back to getting excited enough about some of it to actually write about it.

So basically, things are fine, just a little busier than normal, and I guess I've retreated to the comfort of more familiar music in order to deal with it all. Thanks for the mention. :)

David said...

Hello Jeff

Glad to hear you are well. I know how much work is involved in completing and advanced degree, so I'm not surprised that things have gone on hold.

...And who can blame you for wanting to listen to Rush!